Monday, May 7, 2012

bean salsa

This recipe makes a ton.  Like, grab the biggest bowl you have, ton.  So, every time I make it, I share.  And every time I share, someone wants the recipe.  And every time someone wants the recipe, I can't remember where I put it.  So, now, hopefully, I can remember that I posted it here.  Hopefully.  And truth is, I am not very good at following recipes.  I am always trying to make it healthier, or substitute when I don't have all the ingredients, or add more of my favorite ingredients.  But this is a forgiving recipe.  I can do all kinds of crazy substitutions and it turns out for me every time.  Nice, huh?
Bean salsa

1 can Rotel (or store brand diced tomatoes with green chilis)
1 can black eyed peas
1 can black beans
1 can hominy
1 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 med tomatoes, diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 packet Italian dressing mix made as instructed
Mix

Add just before serving:

1 avocado, diced

Lately I have been replacing the Italian dressing with:
1/3 c. vinegar
1/3 c. olive oil
1 T. oregano

Because I always have those on hand and I live far from the store, now.  I have also been cooking the black eyed peas and black beans from dry beans.  I like to complicate things.

Serve with chips, wrap it up in tortilla for a burrito, or even eat it with a fork as a salad.

1 comment:

jamie parker said...

So excited to try this! Thank you for the recipe!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails