Saturday, February 21, 2009

Parenting Mistake # six billion and two

   
If you family is enticed by a movie about a cute little girl and eating popcorn, m & m's and the whole 3D experience, let me just warn you not to make the same mistake we did.  I am sure most parents already figured that it would be a mistake, but, us, well, we tend to learn for ourselves.  

It was dark, it was creepy, it was not for little kids.  

Eva couldn't sleep because she was scared, woke me up, said we needed to pray, and then prayed that she wouldn't have nightmares about Coraline.  So sorry, Eva.  Bad parents, bad, bad!  

This isn't the kind of mistake like where Daddy takes daughter to Grandma's house wearing tights and no skirt (yep, that really happened.  Today).  Because, with that, daddy doesn't care, daughter doesn't care, and well, no one cares but (uptight-gotta-wear-a-skirt-or-pants-or-something-more-than-just-tights) me.   This is the kind of mistake that haunts Eva for a long, long, long (maybe, but hopefully not, forever) time.  

They are in the tub right now talking about who has button eyes.  

Don't be like us (and the other mom that took her little daughter out before it was over muttering, "We didn't know it was going to be like this."), don't take your kids to see this show.  Especially on the big huge, 3D, screen.  

And speaking of theaters...
My friend, Jorja, just commented on my "too short" post about how lame it is to be short in the theater seats.  I can't believe I forgot to put that on my list.  So, here it is:
One more non-benefit of being short:
-Sometimes when you are sitting in church (or at a game, or at the theater...) your husband looks over, laughs, and says, "are you swinging your legs?"  Yes.  I am.  What of it?  It is so so so hard to get comfy when your feet don't reach in chairs.  A lot of times I will put my legs up in "criss-cross applesauce" as my kids would say (I think "Indian style" must not be PC anymore) because my feet get tired of just dangling there.  Chairs were not made for short people.
  

9 comments:

Abbigail said...

I have been dying to see that show. I am sure Eva doesn't want to go again when I am visiting in Utah right? That is too bad. I am still afraid of ET from a similar experience! ;)

Adri said...

I too took my kids to see Coraline but.... we LOVED it. I heard it was a little scary so I was nervous but they did great. It is kinda dark though! I love the little baby gift you made for Cyd... super cute. You are so talented!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the warning. My kids would for sure have nightmares.

Michelle said...

The worst scariest kid movie EVER!!! I cannot believe it is PG. I took Ella on a Mommy-daughter date and we actually ended up leaving early because it was so scary and freaky. That night Ella woke up scared and I turned on the lights and caught her looking at my eyes to see if they were buttons. It was really fun, but sooo sad.

Also, what about the mostly naked big busty grandma? What the!?

Michelle said...

I meant it was really "funny," not "fun."

Malea said...

...oh, dude. I made the mistake of letting them see Ghostbusters. Even on the clearplay dvd, with me and the remote fast forwarding the ghost parts did them in and me. I did almost take them to Coraline, but we did Pink Panther instead, which was stupid, so it made for a financial mistake. Thanks for the warning, seriously.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that poor little Eva was so scared. I am not a big Tim Burton fan so my kids are safe. Thanks for the tip.

Michelle said...

Wow.. Thanks for the warning... Alyssa wanted to see this soooo bad this weekend... Paul vetoed and we saw Paul Blart, Mall Cop :-) Not one I'd recommend, but for totally different reasons....

Michelle said...

Oh and by the way.... I think you are the best mom in the world! And don't worry about the tights thing... one time I left early for work and Paul dressed Zack in pajama bottoms for kindergarden. He looked like he was wearing leggings and I was mortified when I picked him up. I still remember seven years later, but I'm sure Zack has totally forgot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails